Sunday, October 30, 2011

Living Room Upgrades

IMG_0407

I must apologize for falling off the face of the earth at the end of last week. I have so many projects going on right now, it's a bit overwhelming. I am meeting a lot of goals and crossing things off my to do lists though and that feels fantastic. I wanted to show you photos of the house we stayed at in Bandon but it turns out that none of my photos of the place turned out.

IMG_0410

I thought instead I'd share one of my '10 before 30' items in progress. Re-doing our living room! I went to my favorite October tradition, the antique expo, this weekend and picked up three new things for our living room. A vintage dental table, an oversized lowercase 'r' (for my maiden last name) and another vintage pendant, this one for the circus!

IMG_0412

It can be so overwhelming at a large antique show or flea market. I find that focusing on one area of my house or having a short list of the types of items I'm looking for (small tables, love seat, wall art) helps me focus. I have a tendency to get overwhelmed and fall back on picking up small knick knacky items instead of stuff I could really use in my home. Staying focused really helps.

I also try to stick to the old home decor advice to 'buy what you love'. I considered passing on this dental table because I wasn't convinced it would 'go' with the rest of our living room. I decided to trust my gut and take it home. Once we set it down and threw some records on it, it was like it had always been there. Don't buy something because it's safe, buy something that will make you smile every time you see it.

No comments: